When you’re preparing to move existing workloads to Azure (lift & shift with IaaS), it is important to remember a few things when converting your servers to a compatible format.
Outside of any disk conversions (vmdk to vhd/vhdx to vhd), here are a few other things to keep in mind:
- Convert existing disks to IDE based disks (no iSCSI)
- Uninstall any 3rd party guest tools (e.g. VMware Tools)
- Ensure the any associated disks are less than 1023GB
- Ensure the server has only one Network Interface
- Set Network interface to DHCP and remove any static bindings
- Remove and/or merge existing snapshots
- Windows Servers
- Enable Remote Desktop
- Enable the DHCP Client service
- Linux Servers
- WALinuxAgent installed
I like to keep this list handy as a quick checklist and reality check whilst converting to avoid any surprises later.